- Questionnaire – Series of written questions
- Focus Groups
- Magazines and newspapers
- Google (www)
- Dictionary and/or encyclopedia
- TV and film
Questionnaires tend to be good for quantitative data.
Advantages of questionnaires are:
- Easy and quick way to get information
- Easy to duplicate
- It is written so it is a lot easier to read and understand
- Cheap to produce
- You can post or email it around the world.
- It is good for closed questions (Yes or no answer)
- Anonymous so more likely to have truthful responses
- Quantitative data
Disadvantages of questionnaires are:
- They may not be taken seriously
- Many people may not answer so there would be a low response rate
- It doesn’t allow for different interpretations and individual answers
Advantages of interviews are:
- Response is more open for discussion
- Less chance of misunderstanding the question and you can ask them to explain
- Better response rate because it is harder to walk away from an interviewer.
- Instant response
Disadvantages of interviews are:
- Costly because you need to employ someone to interview them
- There could be awkwardness between the interviewer and the interviewee.
- You might not like their face or vice versa you might be attracted to them so it could be hard to answer truthfully.
- The question has to lead somewhere but they may not when being interviewed